Friday, June 15, 2007

Learning about Attentiveness


(We began doing KONOS unit studies when Lane was 8 and Nathan was 6. Robert was 2 and Sara was a new baby. I kept a record of what we did )

Attentiveness-General

I Samuel 3:1-14

I started by reading this account from the Bible of Samuel when he was a child and how he listened attentively and responded to God. Then, Lane8 and Nathan6 acted out the parts of Samuel and Eli. The boys are always eager to dramatize stories and I know that they remember with a special clarity, whatever they act out. We also read about Mary and Martha in the gospels. I asked the boys what was Mary attentive to and what was Martha attentive to.

Next we practiced eye contact when we spoke to each other. I decided then to make a real effort toward making eye contact with each child whenever I ask him to do something. Then I can be sure that he is getting my request. Not only does eye contact develop better listening skills, but it develops good manners. Looking at people when they speak to you or vice versa is courteous. It helps us focus on someone besides ourselves. Just by practicing this with my children and praising them when they remember to do it, can easily make it become a habit. That is what I want to see.

We spent part of the morning playing games that require attentiveness: concentration (with cards), Simon Says, and Mother May I. Robert2 loved playing these with us. He didn’t always ‘get’ how the game worked, but he always felt a part of school and that kept him happy.

Highlights magazine is famous for its Hidden Pictures. My children love to try to find every one of them.

The last game is the Can You Remember What You See and is easy to set up. Just fill a tray or a box with an assortment of items (the more items, the harder it is, so keep in mind the ages of your children.) . Set the collection down and let everyone concentrate on what is there. Then take the tray to another room. Now comes the fun. Each player tries to remember all of the items on the tray. This can be done orally as a group, or you can have each player write a list of what they saw or even draw a picture. This is a lot of fun and is harder than it seems.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Julie,

I just tried to write you back about Homeschooling Today, but it bounced. Do have another email account through which we can converse?

Blessings,
Jim Bob